Stations are a Grid type similar to Large ships, they are both the exact same dimensions being 2.5 m3 and share the same variety of blocks they can build (Medical Room, Gravity Generator, etc). Despite this they are not exactly the same and have some key differences as outlined below. They are useful for building as the name implies stationary stations in space or built into asteroids or planets.
- If Unsupported Stations is disabled, only Stations that are intersecting with Voxels (planets, asteroids) will be stationary, otherwise they behave like Large ships.
Alternatively, if the setting is enabled - they will remain completely stationary and never move.
(Previous versions of Space Engineers called this setting Station Voxel Support, and the toggle behaved inversely to how the current one does. ie, DISABLED resulted in stationary stations, ENABLED resulted in drifting stations.)
- Stations can be built to intersect Asteroids, Planets or Moons, unlike Large ships or Small ships - which is needed if Unsupported Stations is disabled.
- Thrusters and Gyroscopes will have no effect on a properly anchored station (or one in a world where unsupported stations is set to enabled.)
- In the Terminal's Info tab, it's possible to convert a station into a Large Ship - be warned if any part of the station is embedded into a voxel (asteroid, planet) it will be violently be destroyed. This is a one-way operation, once a station has been converted into a large ship - there is no reverse convert into station function unless you have enabled this option in advanced world settings. (Note: even without enabling this setting conversion is still possible with a Merge Block)
- Grid mass is not calculated (effectively it has infinite mass).
- Starting block is a Light Armor Block instead of a Landing Gear.